Tuesday 8 February 2011

Self Portraits: Day 20

As usual the idea behind this project has changed a bit, and will most likely continue to do so.  I was initially planning to put a lot of thought into finding out what a self portrait truly is, but as it turns out, I have been doing less and less thinking as the days go on.  I have been drawing and painting without a plan and actually without much thought at all, I've been working almost subconsciously, I won't say completely subconsciously but close.  I have been going into the studio, putting on my headphones and basically just letting whatever happens happen...be it good or bad.  This has been a great exercise so far and quite a learning experience.  It's been interesting to document the music along with other things like my mood, things that were going on each day, dreams, etc., which I've been too lazy to post along with the daily photos of my work, but it's all been quite compelling to look back on.  I think some great things are starting to develop because of this process and I'm very happy with the direction this project is headed.
Here is today's work:
Pastel and charcoal on paper
Music - Slimpickins
Pastel and charcoal on paper
Music - Slimpickins
Pastel and charcoal on paper
Music - Slimpickins
Conte on canvas
Music - Thamusemeant
Oil on paper
Music - Thamusemeant
Pastel, charcoal and oil on paper
Music - Thamusemeant

2 comments:

  1. letting whatever happens happen appears to work very well for you. What happens when you consciously create? Is that more difficult or just less natural for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is more difficult, I wind up trying too hard which usually becomes obvious in the end result.

    ReplyDelete