Sunday 16 October 2011

Sleep Deprivation

I decided to stay awake for as long as I could a couple of weeks ago to see how it would effect my artwork.  Being tired didn't really make much of a difference on my art until the last hour, the 48th hour.  At that point I was really struggling to stay awake and reality started to fade as my unconscious mind was taking over.  It was an interesting experiment and the first of my altered states of mind project.  I'm planning on doing a few more experiments which force me into a different mental state, one of which I'll be doing next week.  I'm planning on locking myself into a small space for a few hours.  I'll be drawing and painting while in this confined space and I will be filming the whole experience.  We'll see how that goes, I think if nothing else it will make an interesting film.
Here are some pics from the sleep deprivation project, these ones are from the first night.
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
And these are from the second night.  This is when things started to change, the drawings gradually got looser and sloppier and the writing, when legible, is mostly nonsense. 
Pencil and pastel on paper
Pencil and coloured pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
Acrylic on paper
Taking notes and a bit of writing
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper
Pencil on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment